THE IDEAL HUSBAND
Advice to Men & Husbands:
Proverbs – Chapter 6:20-22
20. My son, keep your father’s commands and do not forsake your mother’s teaching.
21. Bind them upon your heart forever; fasten them around your neck.
22. When you walk, they will guide you; when you sleep, they will speak to you.
Proverbs – Chapter 7:1-5
1. My son, keep my words and store up my commands within you.
2. Keep my commands and you will live; guard my teachings as the apple of your eye.
3. Bind them on your fingers; write them on the tablet of your heart.
4. Say to wisdom, “You are my sister,” and call understanding your kinsman;
5. they will keep you from the adulteress, from the wayward wife with her seductive words.
Proverbs – Chapter 3:13-18
13. Blessed is the man who finds wisdom, the man who gains understanding,
14. for she is more profitable than silver and yields better returns than gold.
15. She is more precious than rubies; nothing you desire can compare with her.
16. Long life is in her right hand; in her left hand are riches and honor.
17. Her ways are pleasant ways, and all her paths are peace.
18. She is a tree of life to those who embrace her; those who lay hold of her will be blessed.
Proverbs – Chapter 10:9
9. The man of integrity walks securely, but he who takes crooked paths will be found out.
Proverbs – Chapter 20:7
7. The righteous man leads a blameless life; blessed are his children after him.
Proverbs – Chapter 28:6
6. Better a poor man whose walk is blameless than a rich man whose ways are perverse.
Proverbs – Chapter 29:23
23. A man’s pride brings him low, but a man of lowly spirit gains honor.
First Timothy – Chapter 3:2-7, 12
2. Now the overseer must be above reproach, the husband of but one wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach,
3. not given to drunkenness, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money.
4. He must manage his own family well and see that his children obey him with proper respect.
5. If anyone does not know how to manage his own family, how can he take care of God’s church?
6. He must not be a recent convert, or he may become conceited and fall under the same judgment as the devil.
7. He must also have a good reputation with outsiders, so that he will not fall into disgrace and into the devil’s trap.
12. A deacon must be the husband of but one wife and must manage his children and his household well.
First Peter – Chapter 3:7
7. Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers.
Proverbs – Chapter 20:6
6. Many a man proclaims to have unfailing love, but a faithful man who can find?
Luke – Chapter 16:10
10. Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much.
Husbands Love Your Wives:
Genesis – Chapter 24:67
67. Isaac brought her into the tent of his mother Sarah, and he married Rebekah. So she became his wife, and he loved her; and Isaac was comforted after his mother’s death.
Genesis – Chapter 29:10-11, 18-20
10. When Jacob saw Rachel daughter of Laban, his mother’s brother, and Laban’s sheep, he went over and rolled the stone away from the mouth of the well and watered his uncle’s sheep.
11. Then Jacob kissed Rachel and began to weep aloud.
18. Jacob was in love with Rachel and said, “I’ll work for you seven years in return for your younger daughter Rachel.”
19. Laban said, “It’s better that I give her to you than to some other man. Stay here with me.”
20. So Jacob served seven years to get Rachel, but they seemed like only a few days to him because of his love for her.
Ephesians – Chapter 5:25-33
25. Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her
26. to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word,
27. and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless.
28. In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself.
29. After all, no one ever hated his own body, but he feeds and cares for it, just as Christ does the church-
30. for we are members of his body.
31. “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.”
32. This is a profound mystery-but I am talking about Christ and the church.
33. However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself…
Colossians – Chapter 3:19
19. Husbands, love your wives and do not be harsh with them.
Responsibility of Men in Marriage:
First Timothy – Chapter 5:8
8. If anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for his immediate family, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.
Colossians – Chapter 3:19
19. You husbands must love your wives and never treat them harshly.