What the Bible says about discipline
Proverbs – Chapter 12:1
1. Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid.
Proverbs – Chapter 13:
1. A wise son heeds his father’s instruction, but a mocker does not listen to rebuke.
Proverbs – Chapter 13:18
18. He who ignores discipline comes to poverty and shame, but whoever heeds correction is honored.
Proverbs – Chapter 13:24
24. He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is careful to discipline him.
Proverbs – Chapter 15:5
5 A fool spurns his father’s discipline, but whoever heeds correction shows prudence.
Proverbs – Chapter 15:10
10. Stern discipline awaits him who leaves the path; he who hates correction will die.
Proverbs – Chapter 15:32
32. He who ignores discipline despises himself, but whoever heeds correction gains understanding.
Proverbs – Chapter 19:18
18. Discipline your son, for in that there is hope; do not be a willing party to his death.
Proverbs – Chapter 22:15
15. Folly is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline will drive it far from him.
Proverbs – Chapter 23:13-14
13. Do not withhold discipline from a child; it you punish him with the rod, he will not die.
14. Punish him with the rod and save his soul from death.
Hebrews – Chapter 12:7-11
7. Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father?
8. If you are not disciplined (and everyone undergoes discipline), then you are illegitimate children and not true sons.
9. Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of our spirits and live!
10. Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness.
11. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.
Proverbs – Chapter 22:6
6. Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.
Psalm – Chapter 127:3
3. Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him.
Proverbs – Chapter 4:1-17
1. Listen , my sons, to a father’s instruction; pay attention and gain understanding.
2. I give you sound learning, so do not forsake my teaching.
3. When I was a boy in my father’s house, still tender, and an only child of my mother,
4. he taught me and said, Lay hold of my words with all your heart; keep my commands and you will live.
5. Get wisdom, get understanding; do not forget my words or swerve from them.
6. Do not forsake wisdom, and she will protect you; love her, and she will watch over you.
7. Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding.
8. Esteem her, and she will exalt you; embrace her, and she will honor you.
9. She will set a garland of grace on your head and present you with a crown of splendor.
10. Listen, my son, accept what I say, and the years of your life will be many.
11. I guide you in the way of wisdom and lead you along straight paths.
12. When you walk, your steps will not be hampered; when you run, you will not stumble.
13. Hold on to instruction, do not let it go; guard it well, for it is your life.
14. Do not set foot on the path of the wicked or walk in the way of evil men.
15. Avoid it, do not travel on it; turn from it and go on your way.
16. For they cannot sleep till they do evil; they are robbed of slumber till they make someone fall.
17. They eat the bread of wickedness and drink the wine of violence.
18. The path of the righteous is like the first gleam of dawn, shining ever brighter till the full light of day.
Proverbs – Chapter 6:20-23
20. My son, obey your father’s commands, and don’t neglect your mother’s teaching.
21. Keep their words always in your heart. Tie them around your neck.
22. Wherever you walk, their counsel can lead you. When you sleep, they will protect you. When you wake up in the morning, they will advise you.
23. For these commands and this teaching are a lamp to light the way ahead of you. The correction of discipline is the way of life.
Proverbs – Chapter 2:1-6
1. My son, if you accept my words and store up my commands within you,
2. turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding,
3. and if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding,
4. and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure,
5. then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God.
6. For the Lord gives wisdom, and from his mouth come knowledge and understanding.
Proverbs – Chapter 3:1-12
1. My son, do not forget my teaching, but keep my commands in your heart,
2. for they will prolong your life many years and bring you prosperity.
3. Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart.
4. then you will win favor and a good name in the sight of God and man.
5. Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;
6. in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.
7. Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord and shun evil.
8. This will bring health to your body and nourishment to your bones.
9. Honor the Lord with your wealth, with the firstfruits of all your crops;
10. then your barns will be filled to overflowing, and your vats will brim over with new wine.
11. My son, do not despise the Lord’s discipline and do not resent his rebuke,
12. because the Lord disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in.
Mark – Chapter 10:13-14
13. People were bringing little children to Jesus to have him touch them, but the disciples rebuked them.
14. When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.”
Ephesians – Chapter 6:1-4
1.Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right.
2. “Honor your father and mother”-which is the first commandment with a promise-
3.”that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.”
4. Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.”
Colossians – Chapter 3:20
20. Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord.