BIBLE TELLS ABOUT MARRIAGE:
Compatibility In Marriage is Important:
Second Corinthians – Chapter 6:14-15
14. Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?
15. What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever?
Galatians – Chapter 5:16-21
16. So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature.
17. For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want.
18. but if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law.
19. The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery;
20. idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions
21. and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.
Ephesians – Chapter 4:2-3
2. Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.
3. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.
Finding a Wife:
Genesis – Chapter 24:42-44
42. “When I came to the spring today, I said, ‘O Lord, God of my master Abraham, if you will, please grant success to the journey on which I have come.
43. See, I am standing beside this spring; if a maiden comes out to draw water and I say to her, “Please let me drink a little water from your jar,”
44. and if she says to me, “Drink, and I’ll draw water for your camels too,” let her be the one the Lord has chosen for my master’s son.’
Genesis – Chapter 24:62-65
62. Now Isaac had come from Beer Lahai Roi, for he was living in the Negev.
63. He went out to the field one evening to meditate, and as he looked up, he saw camels approaching.
64. Rebekah also looked up and saw Isaac. She got down from her camel
65. and asked the servant, “Who is that man in the field coming to meet us?”
Proverbs – Chapter 18:22
22. He who finds a wife finds what is good and receives favor from the Lord.
Happiness in Marriage:
Deuteronomy – Chapter 24:5
5. If a man is recently married, he must not be sent to war or have any other duty laid on him. For one year he is to be free to stay at home and bring happiness to the wife he has married.
Proverbs – Chapter 5:18-19
18. May your fountain be blessed, and may you rejoice in the wife of your youth.
19. A loving doe, a graceful deer–may her breasts satisfy you always, may you ever be captivated by her love.
Proverbs – Chapter 19:14
14. Houses and wealth are inherited from parents, but a prudent wife is from the Lord.
Marriages in Heaven:
Luke – Chapter 20:34-36
34. Jesus replied, “The people of this age marry and are given in marriage.
35. But those who are considered worthy of taking part in that age and in the resurrection from the dead will neither marry nor be given in marriage,
36. and they can no longer die; for they are like the angels. They are God’s children, since they are children of the resurrection.
Mark – Chapter 12:25
25. When the dead rise, they will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven.
Matthew – Chapter 22:30
30. At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven.
Purpose of Marriage:
Genesis – Chapter 1:27-30
27. So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.
28. God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground.”
29. Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food.
30. And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground–everything that has the breath of life in it–I give every green plant for food.” And it was so.
Genesis – Chapter 9:7
7. As for you, be fruitful and increase in number; multiply on the earth and increase upon it.
Ephesians – Chapter 5:31-33( taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation ©. Copyright © 1996, by Tyndale Chariatable Trust)
31. As the Scriptures say, “A man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, and the two are united into one.”
32. This is a great mystery, but it is an illustration of the way Christ and the church are one.
33. So again I say, each man must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.
Special Couples in the Bible:
Romans – Chapter 16:3-4
3. Greet Priscilla and Aquila, my fellow workers in Christ Jesus.
4. They risked their lives for me. Not only I but all the churches of the Gentiles are grateful to them.
5. Greet also the church that meets at their house. Greet my dear friend Epenetus, who was the first convert to Christ in the province of Asia.
Ruth – Chapter 4:13-17
13. So Boaz took Ruth and she became his wife. Then he went to her, and the Lord enabled her to conceive, and she gave birth to a son.
14. The women said to Naomi: “Praise be to the Lord, who this day has not left you without a kinsman-redeemer. May he become famous throughout Israel!
15. He will renew your life and sustain you in your old age. For your daughter-in-law, who loves you and who is better to you than seven sons, has given him birth.
16. Then Naomi took the child, laid him in her lap and cared for him.
17. The women living there said, “Naomi has a son.” And they named him Obed. He was the father of Jesse, the father of David.
First Samuel – Chapter 1:19-20
19. Early the next morning they arose and worshiped before the Lord and then went back to their home at Ramah. Elkanah lay with Hannah his wife, and the Lord remembered her.
20. So in the course of time Hannah conceived and gave birth to a son. She named him Samuel, saying, “Because I asked the Lord for him.”
The Wedding Psalm:
1. My heart is stirred by a noble theme as I recite my verses for the king; my tongue is the pen of a skillful writer.
2. You are the most excellent of men and your lips have been anointed with grace, since God has blessed you forever.
3. Gird your sword upon your side, O mighty one; clothe yourself with splendor and majesty.
4. In your majesty ride forth victoriously in behalf of truth, humility and righteousness; let your right hand display awesome deeds.
5. Let your sharp arrows pierce the hearts of the king’s enemies; let the nations fall beneath your feet.
6. Your throne, O God, will last for ever and ever; a scepter of justice will be the scepter of your kingdom.
7. You love righteousness and hate wickedness; therefore God, your God, has set you above your companions by anointing you with the oil of joy.
8. All your robes are fragrant with myrrh and aloes and cassia; from palaces adorned with ivory the music of the strings makes you glad.
9. Daughters of kings are among your honored women; at your right hand is the royal bride in gold of Ophir.
10. Listen, O daughter, consider and give ear: Forget your people and your father’s house.
11. The king is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord.
12. The Daughter of Tyre will come with a gift, men of wealth will seek your favor.
13. All glorious is the princess within her chamber; her gown is interwoven with gold.
14. In embroidered garments she is led to the king; her virgin companions follow her and are brought to you.
15. They are led in with joy and gladness; they enter the palace of the king.
16. Your sons will take the place of your fathers; you will make them princes throughout the land.
17. I will perpetuate your memory through all generations; therefore the nations will praise you for ever and ever.
The Mystery of the Marriage Union:
Matthew – Chapter 19:5-6
5. And he said, “This explains why a man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, and the two are united into one.
6. Since they are no longer two but one, let no one separate them, for God has joined them together.”
Ephesians – Chapter 5:31
31. “For this reason man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.”
Genesis – Chapter 2:18
18. The Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.”
Weddings in the Bible:
John – Chapter 2:1-11
1. On the third day a wedding took place at Cana in Galilee. Jesus’ mother was there,
2. Jesus and his disciples had also been invited to the wedding.
3. When the wine was gone, Jesus’ mother said to him, “They have no more wine.”
4. “Dear woman, why do you involve me?” Jesus replied. “My time has not yet come.”
5. His mother said to the servants, “Do whatever he tells you.”
6. Nearby stood six stone water jars, the kind used by the Jews for ceremonial washing, each holding from twenty to thirty gallons.
7. Jesus said to the servants, “Fill the jars with water”; so they filled them to the brim.
8. Then he told them, “Now draw some out and take it to the master of the banquet.” They did so
9. The master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine. He did not realize where it had come from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew. Then he called the bridegroom aside
10. and said, “Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now.”
11. This, the first of his miraculous signs, Jesus performed in Cana in Galilee. He thus revealed his glory, and his disciples put their faith in him.