SANCTITY OF MARRIAGE:
Creation of man and woman
Mark – Chapter 10:6-9
6. “But at the beginning of creation God ‘made them male and female’.
7. For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife;
8. And the two will become one flesh; so they are no longer two, but one.
9. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate.”
Genesis – Chapter 1:26-28
26. Then God said, “Let us make people in our image, to be like ourselves. They will be masters over all life – the fish in the sea, the birds in the sky, and all the livestock, wild animals, and small animals.”
27. So God created people in his own image; God patterned them after himself; male and female he created them.
28. God blessed them and told them, “Multiply and fill the earth and subdue it. Be masters over the fish and birds and all the animals.”
Genesis – Chapter 2:4-7
4. This is the account of the heavens and the earth when they were created. When the Lord God made the earth and heavens-
5. and no shrub of the field had yet appeared on the earth and no plant of the field had yet sprung up, for the Lord God had not sent rain on the earth and there was no man to work the ground,
6. but streams came up from the earth and watered the whole surface of the ground -
7. the Lord God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.
Genesis – Chapter 2:20-25
20. So the man gave names to all the livestock, the birds of the air and all the beasts of the field. But for Adam no suitable helper was found.
21. So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man’s ribs and closed up the place with flesh.
22. Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man.
23. The man said, “This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called ‘woman,’ for she was taken out of man.”
24. For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.
25. The man and his wife were both naked, and they felt no shame.
Malachi – Chapter 2:14-16
14. …the Lord is acting as the witness between you and the wife of your youth, because you have broken faith with her, though she is your partner, the wife of your marriage covenant.
15. Has not the Lord made them one? In flesh and spirit they are his. And why one? Because he was seeking godly offspring. So guard yourself in your spirit, and do not break faith with the wife of your youth.
16. “I hate divorce,” says the Lord God.
Matthew – Chapter 5:32
32. But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, causes her to become an adulteress, and anyone who marries the divorced woman commits adultery.
Matthew – Chapter 19:4-9
4. “Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’
5. and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’?
6. So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate.”
7. “Why then,“ they asked, “did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?”
8. Jesus replied, “Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning.
9. I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, and marries another woman commits adultery.”
2. Some Pharisees came and tried to trap him with this question: “Should a man be allowed to divorce his wife?”
3. “What did Moses say about divorce?” Jesus asked them.
4. “Well, he permitted it,” they replied. “He said a man merely has to write his wife an official letter of divorce and send her away.”
5. But Jesus responded, “He wrote those instructions only as a concession to your hard-hearted wickedness.
6. But God’s plan was seen from the beginning of creation, for He made them male and female.
7. This explains why a man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife,
8. and the two are united into one. Since they are no longer two but one, let
9. no one separate them, for God has joined them together.”
First Corinthians – Chapter 7:10-11
10. To the married I give this command (not I, but the Lord): A wife must not separate from her husband.
11. But if she does, she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife.
First Corinthians – Chapter 7:39
39. A woman is bound to her husband as long as he lives. But if her husband dies, she is free to marry anyone she wishes, but he must belong to the Lord.
Who to Marry:
Second Corinthians – Chapter 6:14-16
14. Don’t team up with those who are unbelievers. How can goodness be a partner with wickedness? How can light live with darkness?
15. What harmony can there be between Christ and the Devil? How can a believer be a partner with an unbeliever?
16. And what union can there be between God’s temple and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God said: “I will live in them and walk among them. I will be their God, and they will be my people.”